随着英语这种语言的普及,英语水平成了大学生走向社会的通行证。为帮助大学生轻松掌握英语知识,特提供以下文章:
M:Hey, Li Hua, are you ready to go?
L:行,我筹备好了,可以走了。
M:Ok, let's go!
L:哟,怎么啦?
M:I think my engine is shot. This is not good.
L:什么?有人开枪把你车打坏啦?
M:No! You're right, shot does mean to have used a gun, but here shot means something is broken.
L:对啊,shot是指开枪,原本这儿的意思分歧,这儿是指什么工具坏了。那我的电脑坏了,也能用shot这个字啊?
M:Sure. My computer is shot. You can say almost anything is shot.
L:什么工具坏了都能这样说?
M:Yes, if you hurt your knee, you can say:My knee is shot, or if you hurt your shoulder, you can say:My shoulder is shot.
L:噢,若是你的膝盖受伤了,你就可以说:My knee is shot;若是你的肩膀受了伤,那你就说:My shoulder is shot.
M:Let's go rent a car. I don't want our whole day to be shot.
L:对,仍是去租一辆车吧。噢,毁了一成天也能这样说呀!
M:Yep. Let's go!
(Michael和李华租了一辆车,此刻他们在开往新泽西的路上)
L:Michael,这僚?⑷真不错,挺稳的。再开半小时就到了,太好了!
M:Yeah, I'm glad too, but the damage for renting the car is pretty bad.
L:什么?这辆租的车也坏了?哟,那怎么办呐!
M:No, the rental car is not damaged! The word damage does mean that, but damage here means the amount of money needed to pay for something.
L:租的车没有坏,真把我吓一跳。原本又是我的英文有问题。Damage 这个字很通俗,巨匠都知道是指什么工具坏了。可你指的是为什么工具付的钱。
M:Yes, renting the car is expensive, so the damage is bad. We usually say the damage is bad or not bad.
L:我知道了,价钱贵就是:the damage is bad。价钱不高,那就是:the damage is not bad. 再给我举个例子吧。
M:When you pay for dinner at a restaurant, you can ask:What's the damage?
L:噢,在饭馆里吃完晚饭要付钱的时辰可以问:“What's the damage?”所以租车很贵,the damage is bad. Michael,别担忧,我可以帮你付一点。
M:You don't have to, Li Hua. I know the damage for your new computer was pretty bad.
L:你真好心,知道我买新电脑花了不少钱,所以不要我帮你付。Michael,不妨,我能付一点,你还要去修车,也很贵的
M:Thanks, Li Hua. But I hope the damage for fixing my car won't be too bad.
L:我也但愿你修车不至于太贵。得了,别说钱了,概缦悝开吧。
M:OK, I'll drive fast so that the rest of our day won't be shot.
L:对了,分袂费时刻了,我也不想把一天的时刻全华侈了。