14.copy
(1)一本,一份。a copy of 口语中经常使用。
I'd like to buy a copy of Professor Franklin's book On American Culture.
我想买本富兰克林教授写的关于美国文化的书。
Would you like a copy of professor Smith's article?
你想要份史密斯教授的文章吗?
(2)复印。简单动词
Could you copy this article for me?
你能为我拷贝一下这篇文章吗?
15.count
(1)数数。
She is counting the days.
她每天都在数着日子。
(2)指望。count on 依赖
We'll have to count on good weather.
我们不得不指望一个好天气。
16.cover
(1)封面。hard cover 精装书,与hard back book同意。另外,每个娱乐杂志的封面都免不了会有一位漂亮时尚的cover figure(封面人物)。
The hard cover is on sale for the same price as the paperback this week in the bookshop.
在书店,这些精装本与平装本价格相同。
(2)读完,完成。
I think we've covered everything.
我认为我们完成所有事情了。
I just covered a few chapters which interested me most.
我只读完了自己最感兴趣的几章。
17.crossword puzzle
纵横字谜,一种填字游戏。既可以entertain oneself(自我娱乐),也是一种不错的智力训练。
This is not a game. It's only a crossword puzzle that helps increase my vocabulary.
这不是游戏。这只是可以帮助我提高单词量的一种纵横字谜。
18.drama
戏剧。这是一种西方的艺术形式。四级听力中曾经多次出现。其他的艺术形式还有TV play(电视剧),soap opera(肥皂剧),concert(音乐会)......
Some people just can't seem to appreciate real-life drama.
有些人似乎不愿意欣赏真实生活的戏剧表演。
19.drop
(1)拜访。drop by
I wonder if you can drop by tomorrow evening.
我想知道你能否在明晚过来。
(1)载人一程。
I'm going home, but I can drop you at the supermarket.
我要回家,但我可以载你到超市。
(2)忘掉,放弃。drop it
We can drop it this time. But don't do it again.
这次我们可以算了,但下次不要再犯。
I have to drop it this time.
我这次不得不放弃。
20.drunk driving
酒后驾驶。在四级听力中出现,一般都是作为traffic accident(交通事故)的主要原因之一。
I think it's high time we turned our attention to the danger of drunk driving now.
我认为这是我们必须重视酒后驾驶的危险性的时候了。
21.expect
愿意"期待,期望"。
Nobody expects you to be a superstar.
没有人指望你会成为超级明星。
引申意思为"等待,预期"。
The lecture was much more difficult to follow than I had expected.
这个演讲比我预期的要难懂多了。
Mr. Smith is expecting you at 3 o'clock.
史密斯先生等待着你三点钟到来。
22.extremely
使用频率非常高,不亚于very,这个东西extremely expensive。
The speech the blind girl gave this evening was extremely moving.
今晚那个盲的女孩的演讲非常感人。
23.film
(1)电影。最常见用语。
(2)胶卷。
ran out of film 胶卷用完;a roll of film 一卷胶卷;develop the film冲洗胶卷,说成wash就完蛋了。
(3)拍摄。
film the river bank
拍摄河岸景致
24.gains and losses
得与失。
Think about the gains and losses before you make the decision.
在你做出决定之前,一定要好好想想得与失。
25.give
(1)give sb a ride 请某人搭便车
Could you give me a ride to school tomorrow?
你明天能载我一程去学校吗?
(2)give sb a hand 帮助某人
Can you give me and, Mike?
麦克,你能帮我一下吗?
(3)give sb a ring 打电话给某人
I need to give Mum a ring and tell her I will not be back for dinner.
我要给妈妈打电话告诉她不回去吃晚饭了。
26.go
(1)go broke 破产;身无分文
(2)go for a ride 乘车外出
My sister wanted to go for a ride around town.
我的姐姐想乘车去镇上转一转。
(3)go Dutch 各付各的
(4)go ahead 向前进;继续下去
Go ahead, please.
请继续向前进。
(5)go on forever 永远继续下去
Mrs. Lung's briefing seems to go on forever.
郎女士的演说似乎没完没了。
(6)go against 不顺心
Oh, yes, but not a thing to go against me.
哦,是啊,没有什么不顺心的事情发生在我身上。
(7)go over 复习,温习
I've have to go over my notes for tomorrow's midterm.
我不得不为明天的期中考试复习笔记。